23 May 2011

"The Golden Compass"

Oh, boy. Catholics denounced the film for being anti-Vatican and secular groups derided the movie for softening the atheist themes of the source material.

I bought a copy just to irritate The Pope and I'm glad I did. It has silly moments but much of it is charming. Wish I had a daughter with which to enjoy it.

It didn't do well in the US but it did better than expected in the rest of the globe. But because of the recession and the controversy, the two sequels seem to be "on hold."

What a shame!


2 comments:

  1. They were fantastic books. I've not watched the film/s though.

    I did watch 'Mars Attacks' last night though. I think the woman who plays the alien in disguise is brilliant though. I've forgotten her name again. I'm off to do an Internet search.

    Ahah! Lisa Marie as Martian Girl. That's it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought that for $6 new about 6 years ago.

    I think Lisa Marie used to be Burton's girlfriend.

    Be wary of falsetto singing!

    ReplyDelete