04 June 2009

Blimey! Is he going on about that flick again???

People who watched "Let The Right One In" at the local theater were shocked when they saw the DVD release. The subtitles had been changed, altering the feeling and meaning of many scenes. Bloggers complained vociferously and the distributor promised to place the original theatrical subtitles in the next pressing of the DVD. Here's the problem: Most people seem to be waiting for the new pressing so the first "bad" batch may never be depleted.

So what did I do? I paid $36 for a Region 2 import DVD and $66 for an All-Region disc player. (You now have proof positive I'm demented. Actually, I like foreign films and don't mind reading subtitles because I even use them with English language flicks. So the player may get a lot of use. Plus it can't hurt to have an extra player if my old Samsung moves to the next plane of existence.)

Another reason I bought a copy overseas? I believe in the power of the free market and I enjoy voting with my dollars for overlooked movies. (There's a saying I love: "Democracy without free markets is just an academic exercise." Think about it - if the markets aren't free, just how free are you? Sure, you need to have some laws to protect consumers but we've gone overboard. Obama's plans to centralize everything will fail miserably. The debt Congress is racking up in our names is treasonable, in my opinion. Do you have the $30,000 you owe?)

Anyway, the following is a combination of two messages I posted at other blogs. I pasted them together with little editing. Sorry about the redundancies.

.....................................................................................................................

Some of you may be wondering if those who are complaining about the bad subtitles are exaggerating. They are not!

I am listening to the English language 5.1 audio on the American release DVD and just discovered they're reading the original "good" theatrical subtitles. They make many scenes much more sensible.

If you want to experience complete frustration, play the English 5.1 audio with the English subtitles on. You will understand why there is so much anger. The bad subtitles really do change and/or ruin some scenes.

Unfortunately, some of the English language voice work does not do the script justice, so listening to the Swedish and reading the original subs would be ideal. But you can't!!!

What a shame! This is the sweetest yet most haunting film I've seen in years. I don't want to admit how many times I've watched it the past eight days.

But... this is a very quiet, slow movie. If you expect a lot of screaming and bloody fangs, you're in the wrong place.

This is basically a love story... with moments of real horror and dread. Plus some understated but eerie special effects. They're not flashy, just effective. This movie makes you believe there might actually be vampires lurking about.

Speaking of love: that's what I feel for this.

Love the movie; hate the subtitles debacle. Again: If you want to hear the theatrical subtitles being read, listen to the English language 5.1 audio. (I am using the 5.1 English audio. I can't vouch for 2.0. They may have botched that.)

I'm hoping this situation won't lead to a Catch-22: They'll release DVDs with the original subtitles AFTER the pressing with the "bad" subtitles is sold out. But few people want the bad subtitles! Are we going to be stuck with the incomprehensible English subs? Stay tuned, horror/romance fans...

Oh... make sure you watch until the closing credits start or you may miss an important last scene.

Enjoy. This is a real gem. I wonder if this is the type of movie that inspires people to make movies?

I love the understatement of this gentle journey into juvenile jugular chomping. There's little screaming and running around.

I can't stop thinking this is the type of movie that inspires others to make movies but I'm afraid the American remake will be much louder and bloodier.

Is this a minor masterpiece? Even the very effective special effects are subtle but eerie. They don't have to pound you over the head, Hollywood!

How can they improve on the girl walking barefoot in the snow or her stomach growling (slightly) when she smells blood? The silent but unsettling way she climbs trees and buildings?

I'm afraid Hollywood will have her snarl, growl, and moan loudly when the boy slits his palm.

Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong but don't bet the rent on it.

This makes most other bloodsucker flicks seem lurid and grotesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment