08 January 2010

The Package That Enlightens

This humble package taught me a few lessons today. It contained a British "Region 2" copy of Gothic, Ken Russell's odd take on the weekend when - supposedly - a group of intoxicated Bohemians inspired Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein. I have an all-region player but the disc would not play. I called Philips support and a polite woman told my device was not really legal. The supplier had hacked it and made it an all-region player. I had no idea it was a verboten item and was surprised it wouldn't play Gothic because it plays my "Region 2" copy of Let The Right One In. (I bought the player to enjoy the proper subtitles for that eerie Swedish vampire tale / love story.)

Because the whole situation baffled me I did some Googling and learned it just takes pushing a few buttons on the remote to make most DVD players capable of playing discs from everywhere. It took me about a minute - maybe less - to change mine. Am I breaking the law? I don't know. I don't think the disc I wanted is available in the States and the one I bought from Amazon UK is a legal copy.. I think. (There's really no way to know. Reproducing DVDs and cover art is relatively easy.)

I was surprised how easy it was to change the player. You don't have to open the case - just push a few buttons on the remote.

No comments:

Post a Comment