02 November 2010

To honor Halloween, Jenny returns from the past.

TRIAD


Boys are so silly. That's what Jenny thought as she carefully applied makeup to her round face. She thought the young woman is the mirror was pretty. Why do I have to be all angles to be beautiful? And my chest. What am I supposed to do? Put marshmallows or socks in my bra? So I don't have boobs. So what? They'll just sag when I age.

Jenny was wondering if tomorrow at school she should start speaking in a little girl voice and purring, "Tommy. What big muscles you have!" She thought Tommy liked her - or at least might like her if she could think of a way to get his attention. Should she punch herself in the mouth so she could have Jolie puffy lips? (Jenny thought Angelina's were ugly and probably man-made.)

Maybe she'd just become a lesbian. It might be easier. Women were so much better to talk to. Sometimes they even listened to what you were saying without stealing peeks at your boobs or sniffing to see if you were lubricating. Boys! Men! What goofy inventions!

She thought about scarring Tina Terrific's happy angular face by pushing her down the steep steps in front of their school but Jenny wasn't really that bold a person. "Go, team, go! Go, team, go"' That's about all Tommy's beloved Tina could say. Jeez. A concussion might actually make her smarter.

Jenny just didn't understand boys at all. They mocked her mercilessly. Even some of the girls were cruel. Sure she wasn't a fashion model but they treated her like a freak!

"This might wow them. A little teal eyeliner for my right eye. A little lime green for the left. And to be really radical... no color for the middle eye."

Copyright (c) 2009 Yoga Punguin for Boopi's Millions, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

(This is a hurried first draft. I might edit after I run some errands.)









P.S. I just had another example of "you think you see what you think you're going to see." I don't know how many times I reviewed and/or edited this. I just noticed I wrote "staying" instead of "saying." I shouldn't be surprised. Even pro proofreaders and editors miss mistakes. You think you see what you think you're going to see. I thought I was going to see the word "saying" so I thought I saw it. Such insights are a little scary.

Have you ever read of those experiments wherein they show people a film and ask them what color the car was? They usually get different answers... because there is no car in the film. I don't like to think much about the power of suggestion and the willingness of the masses to follow orders from "authorities."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Copyright (c) Yoga Punguin and Boopi's Millions, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment