09 April 2010

Tail Jail Tale

The wind and rain were pummeling my tiny bungalow last night so I wasn't surprised to hear shrub branches scratching the windows. But I kept hearing the squeak-like sound and it seemed to be inside. Since the wind and rain weren't, I decided to investigate. All I found was a mouse trap that had been sprung.

I kept hearing the bush tickling the glass and realized the noise was being made by a mouse who was trying to hide under the water heater. He couldn't completely do so because he had a trap on his tail and that nasty obstacle was keeping him from crawling away. All I could see was the trap because the mouse was under the tank. Poor thing was squeaking away. He kept trying to reach the darkness under the tank and managed to be unseen but the visible trap on his tail stopped him from going as far as he wanted. It was a little funny... and sad. If he'd just overcome his instincts and run for a lighted area he would have been free.The trap would have been no hindrance because he wouldn't have been trying to crawl under something.

Because I didn't want to be bitten by a frightened wild mouse, it took a few ticks longer than I expected to open the trap and let the tiny animal fall into a plastic bread bag. Then I opened the back doors and let the rodent fall from the bag into the wet grass, the damp darkness... and freedom.

.....................................................................

Holy crap! Trying to produce good fiction can haunt you. I even want my true, brief blog entries to be gems! This needs work but it's not important enough to worry about. The mouse couldn't run away because he had a trap on his tail that kept him from from going as far as he wanted. The trap was too large to fit under the tank so it kept stopping him. It must have been frustrating as hell... if mice experience frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment